Ian's Bungy Industry Summary
Registered as Jump Master No 017 with the Standards Association of New Zealand on 19 July 1991 according to “The Code of Practice for Bungee Jumping” NZS 5848.
Ian Rauner has spent most of his working life planning developing and operating bungy operations worldwide. Over 10,000 people have jumped under Rauner’s guidance and he has trained over 200 staff.
Rauner has been involved in bungy since its earliest days as a commercial industry in New Zealand and has been closely involved in its development into a mature and safe sport that operates under a well conceived code of practice.
Rauners skills include all those required to safely develop and operate bungy including extensive experience in tower structures, bungy cord fabrication, safety management and staff training
Ian's Bungy History
- 2005 to Present Day Development, Construction and Operation of the "X-CENTRE". A New Action Sports Complex in Chiang Mai Thailand offering multiple adrenalin attractions at the same Venue. Check: www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
- 2005 Catapult Bungy operator for Yamaha Motorcycles New "Spark 135" launch at Motorworld in Bangkok Thailand. 2 day event, 100 people in one day.
- 2005 Rigging Supplier and Consultant to " Living Films " for TV. Advertisment Filming.
- 2005 Bungy Consultant and Specialist Bungy Supplier to "Seng Stunts" Thailand for Movie " Tom Yum Goong"
- 2004 Bungy Operators for Freedom X'treme. An extreme sports event promoted by Grammy Productions and Sponsored by 1.2.Call. Jumping under the Rama 9 Bridge in Bangkok. 50 jumpers including many Actors, Singers and Celebrities. Coverage by all major Media Networks.
- 2003 Bungy Consultant and Coordinators for Grammy Movies. Set up and operation of Tandem Bungy Jumps in various locations for the movie " X-GAMES ". Consultant and Superviser for studio filming of Actor and Actress bungy scenes.
- 2003 15 Day Bungy Jumping Promotion/Exhibition for Lima 03 Airshow. Langkawi, Malaysia. A tourism Malaysia promotion by " Nature Ouest " as a tribute to Prime Minister Mahatir Mohamad.
- 2003 Bungy Consultant for Borneo Bungee Co. Sdn. Bhd. Including all aspects of bungy structures, staff training, operational systems and procedures and safety
- 2003 Development of New Site on Jomtein Beach Pattaya Thailand, scheduled to open by Q4 2003
- 2002 Direct Management and operation of the Chiangmai site and general overview of bungy operation in Phuket.
- 2001 Planning and development of New Site at Mae Rim Chiangmai Thailand.
- 2000 Set up of Catapult only site on Lamai Beach Koh Samui Island Thailand.
- 1999 Management and operation of Jungle Bungy Jump Phuket Island Thailand.
- 1996-97 Operation of Batam site and supplying equpment to other operators
- 1995 Operation of Batam / Greek sites, Catapult site set up for summer Carnival in Capetown South Africa
- 1994 Second seasonal site on Faliraqi Beach Rhodes Island Greece. Catapult only site set up on Kavos Beach Corfu Island Greece.
- 1994 Set up of a site in Bali Indonesia.
- 1993 One week operation on Langkawi Island Malaysia for the Lima Air show
- 1993 Set up of site Kavos Beach Corfu Island Greece
- 1992 Set up of second Beer Garden site and a night catapult site in Patong
- 1991 Set up and operation of New Sensations Bungy on Patong Beach Phuket Thailand.
- 1990-91 Operated various Bungy promotions/shows in New Zealand also a sponsored show on the US Island of Guam in Micronesia. Daily operations of the Auckland site
- 1990 Started
work for World Bungy at Freeman´s Bay on the Waterfront, Auckland
New Zealand. Trained as Jump/Site Controller in all aspects of bungy
Welcome to Chiang Mai from Ian & Long
Before they married, Ian and Sudarat "Long" Rauner were both active in developing and running tourist attractions in Phuket. Ian's experience in constructing and managing bungy jump operations had brought him there from New Zealand in 1992 to introduce the new adrenaline sport to Thailand.
Long, meanwhile, had graduated from the Prince of Songkla University with a masters degree in marketing and languages and was kept very busy setting up Phuket's first snake and monkey shows as well as the original elephant trekking company.
After a long spell in Phuket, Ian and Long decided Chiang Mai's more relaxed lifestyle made it a better place to raise a family. Now, after living there for over a decade they are sure they made the right choice and Chiang Mai is most definitely the place they call home.
The X-Centre was the ideal business for them to use their experience and create a unique addition to the Chiang Mai tourism scene. A hit with the public from day one, the X-Centre is today one of the area's best known and most popular places to visit.
Meet the X-Centre Staff
Running the X-Centre requires a lot of people with varied skills including activities supervisors, bungy jumpmasters, motor mechanics, chefs and office personnel.
Our staff therefore have many different skills but all share a sense of fun which helps keep the atmosphere at the X-Centre friendly and relaxed.
H.S.E. First Aid Training
At the X-Centre we always strive for high safety standards but, as some of our activities are extreme in nature, we still have to be prepared for accidents. For that reason all our staff have received first-aid training from Richard Thomas.
Richard is an H.S.E. qualified instructor and a professional medic for police teams in the UK.
Invitation to Travel Companies
The X-Centre welcomes queries from travel agencies throughout the world. Upon request we will provide a standard scale of rates but are happy to discuss special commission rates for agents that can provide large numbers of customer referrals.
We have the capacity to provide food and refreshments for very large groups and have ample parking that can accommodate several tour buses if needed.
For further information please send use the enquiry form.